SPICY GRILLED QUAIL with Arugula Salad and Grilled Fennel
Adapted from West Coast Prime Meats Cooks © 2015
- One cup olive oil
- One teaspoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- One tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- One garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- Freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- Eight boneless quail
- Sixteen thin slices smoked bacon
- Eight bamboo skewers
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, sage, rosemary, garlic and white pepper.
- Cut the quail in half lengthwise. Wrap each half with a slice of bacon and skewer them, two halves to each skewer.
- Place the quail in a baking dish or large bowl, cover them with the olive oil mixture and let marinate, refrigerated, for one hour.
- Two large fennel bulbs, roots sliced off, cut in quarter-inch wedges
- One cup water
- Two tablespoons olive oil
- Half-teaspoon sea salt
While the quail marinate, place a medium sauce pot fitted with a steamer or a small colander on the stove, add one cup of water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the fennel, cover with a lid and steam until just tender, approximately three to five minutes. Remove from heat, brush with the two tablespoons of olive oil and set aside.
Arugula Salad Dressing
- One to two tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Half of a large shallot, peeled and diced finely
- Half-cup olive oil
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar and shallot; let sit for ten minutes, then add the olive oil and set aside until ready to serve.
- Six tablespoons olive oil
- Two tablespoons red wine vinegar
- One tablespoon whole-grain Dijon mustard
- Two small garlic cloves, peeled
- One medium jalapeño chile, stemmed
- One sage leaf, finely chopped
- Three or four rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a food processor or blender jar, combine the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic, jalapeño, herbs , salt and pepper. Process until smooth and set aside until ready to serve.
- Eight marinated, bacon-wrapped, boneless quail (see instructions)
- One recipe Grilled Fennel
- One recipe Diavola Sauce
- One recipe Arugula Salad Dressing
- Eight ounces arugula, washed, spun and dried
- Preheat a charcoal or gas grill to medium-high heat.
- When the coals are ready, grill the quail for five to seven minutes, turning them frequently to prevent them from charring.
- Brush the quail a few times during cooking with the Diavola Sauce.
- Add the fennel slices to the grill and cook for one to two minutes on each side, brushing the slices with the Diavola Sauce.
- Remove the quail and the fennel from the grill and sprinkle with some sea salt.
- Toss the arugula with the salad dressing; divide in four portions and arrange in the center of each of four plates. Remove the quail from the skewers, place four quail pieces per plate on top of the salad and arrange the fennel slices around the arugula.
Copyright © 2015 by Amy and Craig Nickoloff and West Coast Prime Meats
Recipes reprinted with permission of the owners.
Sorry, we couldn't find any posts. Please try a different search.